Sunday, October 21, 2007

Parking on Water Street (Shoots, Eats, and Leaves)


Click image for a larger view . . .

Well, you’ve probably heard of the book, Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. It’s about punctuation, but that’s a somewhat unfair short explanation. When it comes to photography, the order that I do it in is; Shoots, Eats, and Leaves.

I took the above with the nifty, vintage Plaubel Pro Shift, “causing” a 6X9 Cm image. I use the term “image,” because I sometimes only think I’m taking a picture. Later, it turns out to be in focus, properly exposed, but pointless. If you’re going to experiment with what you put a frame around, it can’t help but happen sometimes.

As far as Shoots, Eats, and Leaves, I finished off a Sticks sandwich (and it was really wonderfully spicy chicken) in the time it took to expose the film for the shot above. A guy walked up and asked me what I was doing. This is across from the parking garage on Water Street in Charlottesville. I told him I was taking a picture of the unusual tree and parking lot but I wasn’t sure why. He said he played music and that he knew what I meant. That was worth a laugh, and then he was on his way. Then I left too.

This is a detail from the mid right side of the negative.

No comments: