Sunday, July 8, 2012



Lately I’ve been lurking around in the shadows, looking for night photographs. This one is beyond the exit ramp from the parking lot of Whole Foods. It’s the rear of the store’s parking lot, just off the ramp to the exit. The two walls of the building are a public face on the left, with an “alley” on the right. A car came through and left a track of lights. The radical difference between the two walls of the one building comes from the lighting. The right side is sodium vapor (warm), the left side is mercury (a small, bluish, swatch of the spectrum). Light comes from poisonous metals.  Not all light, mind ye.

I’m really trying to process these so that they look close to what it looks like to my eye.  I’m a night walker; I use the exercise and the difference sense of space as a “place” to think (wonder).

I tried to find an overview in Google Maps. I did, but the buildings roofs looked new and freshly painted. It turned out the copyright statement at the bottom had the image copyright date as 1994. There’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then, and there hasn’t been any money floating in it. So maybe a new-style WPA project will be painting the roofs white in all the big boxes that stretch from coast to coast.

No comments: