Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Clock Shop - Charlottesville - Time Passing



This was taken through the window of The Clock Shop of Virginia (closed on Saturdays), caddy corner to where the Charlottesville City Market is held. The shop has been here as long as I have lived here. The display case is like a small museum of different clock designs, from antique, to modern (as in what was modern in the 50-70’s).

Time remains one of the most mysterious of concepts to me. The clock implies a structured, measurable property, yet psychological time seldom has that characteristic. If an event is charged with enough emotion, it may never seem far away at all.

The Clock Shop has seen some time pass by, and you can feel in a different time while browsing its collection. That display case has little to do with sales; it’s a display of eras via clock design elements.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Ed Deasy said...

Anonymous

I've been a bit slow at posting lately, since all sorts of difficult changes are happening at work. However, I'm still employed, and, since I need to be, that's important.
To: Anonymous, time is a theme running through many of the posts. I'm obsessed with it, because, to me its both a physical process, and a mystery. Its a physical process, but it becomes more because we provide the memory and thus, the ability to make comparisons between past and present, etc. It is clearly emotional because its happening to "us," our bodies, our minds, our friends, and those we love. We sometimes feel this is "loss." We try to understand this, for me I've never reached understanding. Even Einstein, who had a deep glimpse of the mechanism, probably suffered as much as anyone with the human mystery.
I love that hack phrase "time marches on." Well, it marches, it limps, sometimes its dragging, its the heart of motion (Einstein knew this as gravity) and emotion, (we know this as husmans, but memory is the mystery for us. It also continues to mystify me, and then I end up taking time exposures, or photos of the funky old things co-existing with the sleek modern counterparts.

I hope some of that made sense : }